Thursday, August 9, 2012

A Key Aspect in Competitive Bodybuilding

  It's Thursday morning guys and my workout today has reminded me of one of my favorite subjects. Leg training.

  Everyone, including me, has been there. Saying things like, "Oh I want a big upper body so I'll just ignore my legs" or, "My quads are big enough I just want calves". This mindset is the absolute worst thing you can get into. Your legs are your base. Your wheels. Your tree trunks. Respect them!

  I remember about a year and a half ago when I hit a huge plateau. I just could not get any leaner or bigger. And I know what you guys are thinking, "You were only 14! How could you even think about gaining mass you aren't even trough with puberty!" Well, I hit puberty super early. When I was about 12 years old I was very chunky. I was at least 20 pounds overweight and very unhappy. As a side effect of being so overweight, puberty started early for me. This was both a blessing and a curse. This sudden surge of testosterone allowed me to lose fat and put on muscle. But, because I had armpit and chest hair at the age of 13, I was made fun of. The taunts and teases I faced at school drove me to push harder in the gym and within the first few months of weight training, I bulked up. Now, mind you, my body fat percentage was still sky-high, but I was buff. Suddenly my peers respected me and some even admit to fearing me. I'm a really nice guy though, I guess I just look scary. Alright back on topic. Once my upper body stopped growing, I knew I had to start building my legs. My trainer at the time, Dwayne, really pushed me to learn the proper form for squats, dead-lifts, and lunges. Those exercises are very hard to do the right way but once you get it right, you never forget. Kinda like riding a bike. I also learned how to hit the legs from different angles by changing stance and foot placement. Slowly but surely, my legs grew. Now, they are the hallmark of my physique. My legs are what separated me from my competition. I love me legs. And as soon as you guys start to work them properly, you'll love them too.

  Workout videos are coming on the subject of legs I just need more time to make a really in depth leg day video. Stay tuned!

  Also it would be awesome if you guys could email me at jaysilver26@gmail.com with any questions concerning nutrition or training. I want to start a nutrition show so any input from fans would be fantastic.

  Thanks and, as always, lift strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment