Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sunday Update 1

  Happy Sunday guys! Hope your weekend was a memorable one. 

  Everyones gotta take a few rest days a week and I always do Saturday and Sunday. The weekends are a great time to replenish the glycogen stores in your body. 

 This first Sunday Update is going to be all about a very important bodybuilding compound, Glycogen!

  First off: glycogen. Muscles need energy to preform, we all know that. Skeletal muscle uses ATP (adenosine-triphosphate) to contract. Glycogen is stored inside your muscles, which, through glycolysis, converts into ATP. If you perform any kind of vigorous exercise (especially resistance training) optimizing the amount of glycogen stored is key to break through plateaus and pack on muscle relatively quickly. Now onto the easy part. The best way to replenish glycogen is to eat carbohydrates. I would recommend 4 ounces of sweet potato or a cup of brown rice at dinner time. Also remember to count your macro nutrients (protein, fat, carbs) throughout the day and adjust serving sizes to fit those requirements. Every once-in-a-while I, as well as any other successful bodybuilder, take a cheat day. Yesterday I cheated pretty badly on my diet. I had some pizza, chips, and a ton of diet soda. Making sure to fit in my macros was the only thing that even came close to dieting yesterday. I was with a bunch of my friends and sometimes you just have to go with the flow. Guys, these cheat days are totally fine. These are great ways to get the carbs in to really fill those glycogen stores. Just remember, not too often! Pick one cheat day a week. That way you can fill your glycogen stores for the next week of training. 

Remember that^
  Have a great weekend guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment